Time flies by and I didn’t even notice it. In case you have missed it, our favourite reads for the week:
“I have confidence that spring will come again, Besides which you see I have confidence in me”
Edited by Florrie Clarke of Intrinsically Florrie
Within this week’s links I kept noticing a resounding honestly in the heartfelt posts. When we blog or choose an outfit we are putting ourselves out there for all to judge, and it’s not surprising that doing the activity can have an affect on our confidence for better or for worse, especially when feedback starts coming in.
There’s also been a sense of rebellion in the air: from the emergence of the punk style to controversy over Vogue, and in the week that saw the spectacle which is the Golden Globes rises a questioning of what the red carpet is all about.
Links à la Mode: January 20th
- A la Modest Drawing inspiration from Kabukis, Rainbow Brite, Ladytron, and Padmé Amidala while on Tatooine
- Antares: Alfa Scorpii Fashion without mercy: do I have to choose between fashion and my beliefs?
- By Anika Who gets to label me and my worth? I do! An honest account from this curvy fashionista who fiercely supports all of our rights to label, embrace and love our fashionable selves, what ever our size.
- City of Glitter To Cover-up or Not To Cover-up? A post exploring foundation and its role in our self-esteem.
- Crimson Rosella Blogging: A Self-confidence booster?
- Depict This The challenge of wearing vintage clothing in the real world
- Elle Enchanted My take on what bloggers need to consider before accepting a sponsor.
- Fashezine Inspired by Jennine Jacob’s post on how fashion blogs will evolve in 2011, I thought I’d try my hand at a video.
- Fashion Limbo Online Christmas Shopping, the Aftermath – on lost packages, refunds and independent retailers.
- Fuyume The demise of the kimono industry.
- Fish Monkey’s Writing Stuff Why I don’t think that red carpets have any relevance to fashion.
- Independent Fashion Bloggers: 5 Tips for Taking Better Photos of Yourself
- Intrinsically Florrie The fashion show that’s made me impatient for summer.
- Karma-Style Blog Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj have ‘FoF’ – Fearlessness of Fashion. Do you?
- My Heart Blogged Falling head over flats. My flats collections, and why you don’t see me wearing heels.
- Scarlet Letter Style Why is the fashion world so critical? I have an idea on how to fix it
- The Column of Samantha Tyler Of Punks and their influence on Fashion
- The Fashion Pawn The fourth part of The B.O.B Series discusses all “About You:” Tips for your About You Page.
- The-Loud Mouth Sometimes, garbage piles up: Fashion blogging isn’t just a hobby. For some, it can be an emotional release.
- The Taxonomy Of My Wardrobe Three Strikes Vogue – You’re Out! Three examples of how the fashion bible is inexcusably out of touch with readers and losing relevance in today’s world
- The Simply Luxorious Life Why Not . . . Create Your Own Signature Style?
New@Shopbop: Bassike, Shakuhachi, Nissa, Minnetonkas, FreePeople, Tibi, AIKO, Bird, Myne, Black Halo, Kova&T, Hanii Y
In With The New
Edited by: The Sunday Best
It’s funny how an arbitrary measurement like time can cause us to reassess our lives, make long lists of promises, and end up overpaying for bad parties filled with depressed people staring into their drinks. Just me? Let’s start the year off right with a collection of links bursting with new year-y goodness.
Links à la Mode: January 6th
Shopbop Boot Sale: S.Weitzman, Dolce Vita, Ash, S.Edelman, T.Burch, J.Campbell, Minnetonka, Loeffler, Hunter, UGG, Frye
My fav reading of the week. Congrats to all the authors of the featured articles!
Edited by Ashe Mischief/Dramatis Personae
After being a Links a la Mode editor for years, it’s really refreshing to come back and edit our end of 2010 edition! It felt so timely, too– the end of a year. So many new, exciting things to look forward to. New ideas, people, inspiration. That’s where this round-up came from: inspiration. It’s my hope that these posts will inspire you, as they’ve inspired me– as a reminder to step outside your boundaries to try something new. As a reminder to look at the world around you. To be bright and brilliant and love fashion & style. To treat yourself well, to love yourself, and feed your mind & body all you need to thrive– and hopefully inspire and help you to be the person you want to be in 2011.
Hope you all have an amazing New Year!
Links á la Mode: December 30th
- Antares: Alfa Scorpii: Mori girls style is an amazing street style trend, the mixture of ethnic, folk, lolita-style and others.
- Awakened Aesthetic: Araks Yeramyan’s lingerie is both ethical and effortless.
- Beyond Fabric: On Family History – Vintage Family Pics
- Big Girl. Small Budget. Tiny Town.: Using the 12 Days of Christmas as style inspiration. A 12-verse song translated into 12 winter looks
- Boheme Noir: 10 Ways to Wear Tartan & Plaid
- Circle City Style: High Fashion in the Style of Gemma Teller
- Dramatis Personae: If I were Another Girl… Inspired by Eastern European Boho Style
- Fasshonaburu: Why is that most “Flatter Your Shape” articles will feature petite and curvy, yet rarely both in one person?
- Fuyume: Is the rise of Asian models a fad?
- The House in the Clouds: Shine your light on me: A reminder to all women that we are more beautiful and interesting collectively.
- I’m the It Girl: Colour Trends S/S 2011: From Runway to H&M
- Independent Fashion Bloggers: Setting Blogging Resolutions for the New Year
- Liv Lux Magazine: How to Ease High Heel Foot Pain [Video]
- Lust, Love, Lose: Lust- Maggie Matich’s Lavender Hair
- Just B Blog: B Festive: Hair Tinsel the perfect holiday hair accessory!
- Miss Vicki: Crossing the line between fetish and fashion
- Modly Chic: Typical New Year’s Resolutions– Blogified.
- MoMoMod: I’m bound to believe that Catherine’s definitive, effortless, and lady like style is perfect in its own right.
- My Fashion Lust List: Fashion Related Health Problems
- The Coveted: Snow boots for urban sludge
- The Red Dot: Fashion Illustration therapy: review of three of the best fashion illustration blogs of the moment – Do they have influence on our style and looks?
- Watch This Place: In a world where ‘shocking’ is no longer shocking, I consider whether the ‘rock-‘n’-roll-bad-girl’ has lost her edge.
Shopbop Blog: So Low, 291 Venice, Freecity, YFB, LAMB, Wilt, KAIN, MINKPINK, Ever, ADAM, Indah